Salary: £35,000 - £45,000 + benefits (Bonus, Overtime, Pension & more)
Hours: 37 hours per week
We currently have an exciting opportunity for a Laser Systems Design Engineer working within a multi-functional engineering department for a market leading defence organisation. The role sits within a future systems development team whose aim is to mature concepts using new and unusual tech, deliver prototypes, demonstrations and trials, ultimately delivering step changes in capability
The role is a technical system design role responsible for the specification, oversight, and delivery of key parts of the Laser demonstrator being developed by the Sparkworks team and key suppliers. Follow on programmes in this domain to take this initial capability further are planned and this role is an exciting opportunity to be part of a world leading, potentially world changing, new capability development.
As the Systems Design Engineer, you will employ your ability to see the bigger picture whilst understanding the detail to many and varied challenges at all stages of the CADMID cycle.
Benefits of working here:
- State of the art technology & innovation
- External learning and development encouraged.
- Light and airy university type campus.
- Friendly environment!
- On site Medical Centre
- Parking / Easy Access to train station
- Coffee Shops & Onsite Shop
- Sports & Social Club and More
Laser Systems Design Engineer Role
Example activities that this role could be required to tackle would be:
- Generate a specification for a laser beam director bearing in mind system needs and constraints as well as achievable performance standards within supply base
- Confirm that the laser output and beam director are compatible
- Manage supplier interactions and ensure timely delivery of compliant laser subsystem
- Devise a testing programme for the subsystem you are responsible for, analyse the results and critically assess the performance, then support the understanding of what that means for the complete system performance
Laser Systems Design Engineer skills and qualifications required:
We seek a systems engineer with the following attributes:
- A technical and practical way of thinking, possibly with a physics background, coupled with system design experience and an ability to see how things fit together
- A passion for understanding the details of how things work and an ability to work well with advanced suppliers in specialist technical domains
- A proven ability to liaise with a diverse range of specialists both internally and externally to ensure a design is credible and will work with the rest of the system as it matures and evolves (specialists may include mechanical, electrical, software, safety as well as laser specialists, beam director specialists etc)
- Creativity, imagination & problem-solving skills
- Record of successful technical work delivered individually and/or as part of a team
- Proven delivery of technical programmes
- Ability to step back from day to day aspects, view the bigger picture context and navigate a successful course through complex and changing requirements
- Laser knowledge and understanding beneficial but the right technical and system design attributes are the most important aspects
- A candidate who additionally possesses a science background and a passion for technology would be particularly suited to the role.
You should be able and willing to gain (UK Eyes only) security clearance, potentially to DV level in the future.
Please note: Due to the occasional high amount of applications, it can be difficult to reply to everyone. If you haven’t been contacted within 1 working week, then you haven’t been successful on this occasion. However, thank you for your interest.
Cirrus Selection offers the services of an Employment Agency for permanent recruitment and the services of an Employment Business for contract recruitment.